Thursday, April 7, 2016

                       River Rafting
“Now you go over to Jo Jo and pick out your helmet then you're all set to go river rafting. When you're ready start heading over to the bus and make sure you fill up the back seats first’’.


Finally after a scary bumpy 5 minute bus drive up and down the dusty hills to the Mohaka River We scrambled off the bus in a big group, and selected a raft. The instructors explained what to do in dangerous situations. For example, if the raft tips over, how to paddle, and all this other boring stuff (I just wanted to paddle off). After that boring talk we picked up our raft put in the water, and guess what we did next…?  .EXPLAINED WHAT TO DO IN AN EMERGENCY YET AGAIN!!!!


After about 15 minutes of starring at the cool water while they went chat chat chat (for a minute I didn't think they would ever stop TALKING!!) we were off, down the river and into the rapids (Finally). Our raft group name was The Rocket Paddlers!!! Created by Jaimee Hunter. Alice was up the front first on the seat called the the bull ride. She held on very well down the rapids and through the curves. There was this one time that our raft slid up a rock and do you think she fell off? Nup the did not.  When it was my turn I fell backwards with my legs sticking up in the air on the first rapid. I was on one of the biggest rapids (I think it was one of the biggest rapids). In the end I was the only one in the WHOLE group to fall backwards!!!


After that we made a sudden stop for morning tea (I thought that we finished) but there was way more ahead of us than we knew (YAY and I am really really not being sarcastic). It's true!! Before I knew it lunch was over and we were back on river. As well as just river rafting we also slid down rocks, jumped off rocks, and got stuck in rocks! And we swam into rapids and floated down rapids! When we had finished we did not enjoy the squishy wet freezing cold ride back to camps.


I loved river rafting at Mountain Valley Adventure Lodge.
By Grace Pritchard




No comments:

Post a Comment